Saturday, March 7, 2009

OCRC Saturday Series, Round 1

I ran the 1st race of the OCRC Sat Series last weekend. The turnout was a little less than I expected, with just 16 heats of racing. I was racing Stock Buggy and Truck and my brother and I were sharing my T4, with him running it in Amateur. He did a good job of not breaking, which allowed me to take my runs :)

We got there at 6am in order to get a good pit spot, then had a long time to wait, as racing wouldn't start until 10am! I didn't even bother practicing until 90 minutes later, since the track was so wet. But by the time the track dried out enough, it was full of cars during practice. It was best to wait on the stand behind the spot where you wanted to drive from, and take over it as soon as the other driver left. It would be like this until the track was closed for maintenance, as no controlled practice was run.

Stock Truck
I had a really good run in the 1st round, finishing 2nd with a 12:18. It was a little loose though, so I changed the rear springs over to blacks for round 2. But I wasn't able to put in a good run as a lapped truck got tangled up with me even though I was clearly faster. That tangle ruined my time and I finished 6th with an 11:07 (IFMAR qualifying btw). But, my run from the 1st round would be fast enough to seat me in 4th for the A though :)

For the main, I got a clean start and held my starting position. I ran in 4th for about half the race, when an accident took out the truck in front of me, allowing me to move into 3rd. I kept it clean and finished in 3rd with a 12:03, taking 3rd place in the series :)

Stock Buggy
I did really well during qualifying, placing 2nd in round 1 with a 12:24 and winning round 2 with a 12:18. My round 2 run would seat me in 4th for the A. My good fortune would end in the main though, as I got a horrible start, which dropped me down to 8th. I was able to make it up to 3rd for a couple of laps, but mistakes dropped me back down the order. I ended up finishing in 6th with 12:24. Not a great start for the series, but we do get to drop our worst races from block A and B.

Random thoughts:
-need to run buggy grip on my tires every run, as it made a noticeable difference. Didn't I know this already?!
-my slipper needs to be run tighter when using buggy grip!
-new tires suck! They need at least 5 runs on them before they hook up.

Next round of the OCRC Sat Series will be on 3/28 at Hot Rod Hobbies! See you there!

1 comment:

Kevin Deselms said...

Yeah! I'm hoping to make it to round two out here at HRH, should be a good turnout.