Friday, April 10, 2009

Signs of Improvement

I headed out Wednesday night for more stock buggy racing. This time I was trying out a "light" shock setup, running 20wt oil in all 4 shocks. The current layout at OCRC doesn't have any "big" jumps but several hairpins and switchbacks. Hopefully the light oil in the shocks will result in a faster reacting car able to change direction quickly.

The new settings felt good during practice. Good traction and predictable. I saw no reason to make any changes until I see the lap times during round 1 of qualifying. I had a good start this time (no hacking and I got to start towards the front) and settled into 3rd place. I had a little battle going on with Tyler for 3rd, but came out on top, and finished the heat with a 13:02, my best time so far on this layout with my buggy! I was still in the low 23's though, with my fastest lap being a 23.034.

Round 2 would be a blowout run, as I would be starting in the back. Without a big wreck in the 1st few laps, it would be hard to move up the standings, as everyone's lap times are really close. I cruised around the track mid-pack, finishing in 6th with a 13:17. I did finally turn a 22.672 lap though! It must've been on the lap where I "went big" and rode the bowl turn and jumped the table-step up jump then triple-singled the quad section. Too bad I can't do that every lap and consistently. Clearing this section in that manner with a 17.5 motor is on the risky side.

My run from round 1 seated my in 3rd for the A main. I got a decent start, but I guess my nerves were messing with me, as I had a hard time relaxing, which made it difficult to drive! This caused me to make a few mistakes, allowing the 4th place car to catch me, then eventually pass me :( I finished in 4th with a 13:00. Nuts! I just missed going 14 laps!

I guess these "light" shock setups I've been trying in my buggy and truck have been working out for me. I think I'll run these settings for a few more races, but may change them, depending on what the layouts are like for the next JBRL and OCRC series races. The next thing I need to do is figure out how to get a little bit more power out of my motors....

On another note, I heard that OCRC will be adding more clay to the dirt this coming weekend! I bet that will help with holding more water, but I wonder how tacky the dirt will get? Will it turn into the dirt MnM Hobbies had, where you ran slicks and ultra stiff foam? Maybe I'll have to race next Wednesday and check out the new dirt!

No comments: