Monday, September 28, 2015

Must go faster!

I headed to SDRC once again for some Saturday club racing. But I had some work to do before hitting the track. 

I changed back to my D3.5 17.5 motor to save my Fantom short stack for bigger races. But before installing it I decided to clean it up some. I cleaned and oiled the bearings and blew out the stator with compressed air. Then installed it back in my buggy.  During my practice runs my motor temp alarm went off before my timer, so I geared down 2 teeth ending up at 69:30. I didn't want the alarm to go off during racing like it did last week. 

I also decided to try the gull wing front arms and tower again to get more steering. But my lap time were stuck at 17.8. While my friend, who recently switched to an inline battery setup, was turning mid 17's!  A 17.5 in fact. Hmmm. I should soften up my shock package again, as I this was the setup I was using until mid summer, and I seemed to do better with it. I may also need to try an inline battery setup and finally mount a motor fan in my buggy and truck. 

Fred's inline battery setup.

Jose's motor fan setup. The mounting bracket is attached to the top of the tranny brace. 

I was also using my new server power supply for the first time. It's much more compact than my 25v power supply, but doesn't have a nice backlit display and power usage meter. But it does free up a ton of space in my pit bag and lighten it!

You can't even see the power supply under my charger stand!


Race results.



I won round 2 of qualifying and started 5th in the A. After a horrible start dropping to last, I work my way back up to 4th and crash in the last 30 seconds and finish in 5th. 

I plan to soften my shock package and try an inline battery setup and add a motor fan. Maybe I'll even use a front wing

No comments: