Sunday, August 24, 2008

Return to RC Racing

After about 5 years away from RC racing, I've decided to take it up again. The recent approval of brushless and lipo battery technology for racing has prompted my return.

I've upgraded, my AE T3, and B3 with LRP Sphere Competition Brushless speed controllers and LRP X11 Vector brushless motors (17.5 for stock, 13.5 for super-stock, and a 6.5 for mod). I also decided to switch over to a 2.4 GHz radio system. I picked up the Spektrum Pro Module/Receiver combo for my old M8 radio. I was going to get a 2.4 GHz M11, until I realized that the Airtronics 2.4 GHz system was just a module/receiver system too. I'm happy with the DX7 I use for my helicopters, so I figured I'd save a little money and keep my M8 (for now anyway) and use the Spektrum system. It's also compatible with the M11, for if I change over to it in the future.

I plan on using my 10+ year old AE T3 for racing Stock Truck and just use my B3 for practicing, as I have a few spares for the T3 and none for the B3. If I break either, I'll probably upgrade to the B4 and T4, since it's hard to find spare parts for the older cars.

Time to glue up some fresh tires for the truck (luckily AE still uses the same wheels on the T4 as the T3, so wheels for my truck are easy to get), and head out for some races!

No comments: