Saturday, June 13, 2009

New charger!

I decided to replace my trusty CE Turbo35 charger with a more compact one to use at the track. While the Turbo35 works great, it's overkill. It's big because it has a huge heat sink and fan in the back to dissipate the heat created when discharging batteries and needs a 12v power supply, thus taking up a lot of room in my pit space. I will still use it at home to rate my LiPo batteries as it can measure average discharge voltage and internal resistance.

When looking for a new charger I wanted it to have a built in power supply and be capable of charging up to a 6S LiPo. The 3 chargers I considered were the Electrify EQ2. Hyperion EOS 0606i, and Muchmore Platinum Silent Charger. I picked the Muchmore charger as I already had an Electrify charger and wanted something different, and didn't like how the Hyperion didn't have a detachable DC input cord.

So far I've used it at the last OCRC Sat Series and JBRL race, and it's been working great! Easy to program and use. The only thing I don't like is that it takes forever to get up to the maximum charge rate, as it increases the amp rate at 0.1 amps every 20 seconds. So it takes nearly 18 minutes to reach a 5.0 amp rate. My CE charger reaches the max amp rate in less than a minute. I tested some batteries to see if this impacts its performance, but it doesn't seem to. The battery charged on the Muchmore charger had about the same IR and Avg discharge voltage, but about 144 mah less capacity or 26 seconds less run time, which doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

No comments: