Friday, December 25, 2009

OCRC Charity Race

A few weekends ago was the OCRC Charity race. Robert was donating all our gifts from our entries to "His Nesting Place", a foundation that helps abused women and their children. Combine this with the fact that rain was in the forecast for Sunday, and you have a "big" race! The turnout really good, with 17 or so heats. I was running both Open SC and Mod 4wd and both classes had an A and B main!

Mod 4wd was up first in the round. It was fun racing my B44 again :) I was doing pretty well, running 2nd, but I made a few bobbles, then my CVD popped out of the drive cup :( I had to pull off, since I had no punch to clear the jumps with 3wd! lol! Round 2 was more of the same, running a consistent, but slightly slower pace this time, in the 4th position, when I clipped a pipe on a crash, and the CVD popped out again! I kept going this time though, as I wanted to finish the run, since I DNF'd the first round. I looked over the car between rounds, and the only thing I found wrong was a loose ball stud, so I thought this was the reason the CVD kept coming out, so I tightened that up and called it good.

I ended up being the BQ, with my limping run from round 2. But, during warm up for the main, my CVD popped out again! Crap! I yelled for my brother to grab my car, so he could fix it, and asked for a grace period. The funny part was that is usually only done for the A main! Hahaha! Nick B was cool and gave it to me anyways though! :) My bro got the car fixed just in time for the start, but on the step-up jump, I rolled when the car bounced and the CVD popped out again! Now, I was thinking something else must be broken in the rear end to keep popping out the CVD so consistently! My bro got the car fixed again, and I was off! I tooled around for fun, and even tried clearing the huge triple in the center of the track! I tried it twice, casing both times on the lander jump, then finally broke on the second try! Hahaha! Well that was fun while it lasted.

Upon inspection of my car, Carlo found that the rear arm was broken around the inner hinge pin in such a way, that it looked intact, but could flex enough to allow the CVD to come out. DOH! I had been racing the entire day with a broken A arm! Then while recording the Stock Buggy A Main, Wallnuts came over and put something in my sweatshirt pocket. It turned out to be $10 in race bucks, because I managed to still finish in 3rd for my 4wd main! LOL! I guess I kept running long enough to pass the other cars that had broken and dropped out! Woohoo! Think what I might have done if I had been racing a healthy car!

Mod 4wd notes:
-loosen slipper (tranny gears grinding under braking)
-check front transmission gears for damage from tight slipper

Mod 4wd vids:






The second class I was running was Open Short Course. The last time I ran this class at OCRC, I was using a 10.5 motor, and I wasn't able to clear the step-up jump in front of the driver's stand. So, this time I went with the 8.5 out of my 4wd! No problem clearing that jump now! I would still wreck every once in awhile, but at least I wasn't landing short, which ended up breaking my chassis.

In round 1, I was tied for the lead of the race, swapping it back and forth with Lee Gravelle, every time we crossed the line. I lost the lead on the last lap though when I got sideways at the end of the straight and got stuck on the pipe and needed to be marshaled :( I also noticed during the run that I was losing some punch for clearing the jumps. I thought it might be my battery getting flat, but when I checked it after the race, it still had good voltage. In round 2, I basically blew out and crashed a bunch along with all my punch disappearing. During that race, I realized that the problem wasn't the battery, but the slipper, as I could hear it slipping a bunch this run. It must have overheated and glazed over, thus I had no punch! I had loosened it a bit to keep the truck straight on power with the 8.5 and SC tires, but I guess I loosened it up too much :( For the main, I tightened it back up to my normal setting.

I qualified 5th for the A Main! :) I got a decent start, but touched a truck in the air over the step-up jump on the 1st lap and got the worst of it, tumbling :( I was marshaled almost immediately, but got hit in the rear and tied up with another truck before the center triple, dropping back. I think I made it up to forth for a lap, but a short landing on the triple and a roll over, dropped me back to my final position, 6th. Oh well. At least I was able to finish in the top 3 for the 1st 4 races with my SC10 :)

open sc
-slipper set too loose for 8.5-overheated and lost punch at 4 min
-check slipper pads/plates
-rear end loose mid corner, tire roll over? change to shorter rear camber link?

Open SC Vids






My bro was also racing Stock Truck. He did well and made it into the A main, but was hoping to be the BQ. We were trying out the timing boost profiles on the SPX with his truck and still dialing in the right gearing and motor timing though, so he might have been a little bit slower. Here are the vids that I took of his runs :)







My bro and I also got a few of the A mains from the Charity Race and here are those vids







I also got my friend Calro's run in the Mod 4wd A main


And finally, here are OCRC's vids of mine and my bro's mains. In the Mod 4wd B main, you can see my bro and Carlo trying to fix my broken car :(










No comments: