Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A whole lota SC racing and YouTube Vids!

Since my last post I've run Short Course the last 3 times I've been racing. Twice over Thanksgiving weekend, then last Sunday at West Coast's Grand Re-opening race.

I've changed my shock package to a much a stiffer setup that the AE drivers were using this past summer. 40wt oil with red springs in the front and grey in the rear. I also changed my camber link locations to the same ones I use on my T4, in order to get the SC10 to rotate more in the turns. I like this setup much better, as it feels more like my T4, which was my goal.

I raced the Friday after Thanksgiving in Stock SC at OCRC on the new expanded track. The OCRC track went from one of the smallest, to the largest! The straight feels like it goes on forever! I TQ'd and took the win, so I decided to try Open SC on Sunday and step up to a 10.5 motor.

Here is OCRC's YouTube vid of the race:



I came back on Sunday with the 10.5 motor in the SC10 and headed out to practice. With more motor I was hoping I would be able to clear the huge step-up jump in front of the driver's stand and the single to table-top in the center of the track. Well the center jump was fairly easy to clear, but I broke the chassis on the step-up! :( And the shop didn't have an SC10 chassis in stock! Fortunately, Nick Black loaned me an aluminum chassis brace, so I was able to race that night. Thanks Nick! It took me a while to fix the chassis, so I didn't get much practice with the 10.5 motor. Now thinking back, I'm not sure if it was much of an advantage, as I wasn't able to use the power. But, I may try it again for fun! I plan to run the 13.5 motor more, as this will be the motor I will need to run for the 2010 JBRL season. Since not enough Open SC trucks showed up, I was put in the Stock SC class. But, I later found out that the winner and myself had both signed up for Open SC. I ended up qualifying in 3rd then finishing in 2nd, when I was able to jump over the 2nd place truck on the center jump by downsiding the table-top :)

Here is Sunday's race:



After that weekend of racing I picked up a new chassis, and plan to get the RPM bumper/chassis brace that was just released. In the mean time, I will be running the stock bumper, but with the loop from the bumper to the front shock tower cut out. With this part gone, the bumper is able to flex more, and doesn't transfer the load from a front impact to the shock tower, which ends up breaking the chassis. The new RPM bumper also does this and adds a brace under the front of the chassis.

Other notes:
-Check diff tightness
-Get another SPX!
-Switch limiters to 5/4

This past Sunday I ran WC Unlimted SC at West Coast's Grand Re-opening race. This time I had a 13.5 in the truck and it felt pretty good. Decent speed and enough punch for the jumps. The layout at West Coast had I nice flow to it, but only had 2 big jumps on the track. This made for good racing, as you weren't just trying to survive the jumps. The track was also much smoother now, like OCRC, and had awesome grip! I even pulled a wheelie down the straight in the main!

In round 1 I benefited from starting up front and took the lead, but dropped down to 2nd in the 1st minute. I had a clean run and turned a good time, which seated me 3rd in A main out of 22 entries! Woohoo! In round 2 I had to start in the back and got into a couple of wrecks, so I wasn't able to turn a good time :( My run from round 1 was still fast enough to keep me in the A, but I would now be starting from 4th on the grid. In the main I had a bad start, but was able to get up to 3rd. I then dropped down to 4th, after a clean pass was made on me. Then, I took back over 3rd, after the truck in front made a few mistakes. Took home $10 in race bucks :)

Here are the races!







My brother was also racing in Stock Truck. My normal class! He did really well, making the A main in 8th place. He was able to run in 3rd for a few laps, but got passed in a pile up. His driving is getting a lot better, so soon he may be in the top of the A! He just needs a little more speed, as he's not crashing very much now :) Here are his races:







I also ran my B44 with a mod motor for the 1st time in a year! To say that the grip and speed were better than the SC10 would be a gross understatement! It took me a bunch of crashes to get used to the throttle/brakes in the air, as they are more sensitive on a 4wd mod buggy than an SC truck. I didn't race it though, as I wanted to concentrate on the SC10. Here is a vid of my practice run.

No comments: