Sunday, March 29, 2015

New tire and motor testing

We headed over to SDRC  for some Saturday club racing. I needed to break in some tires and test my new MurfDogg 17.5 motor. 

The tires were Proline Electrons in MC compound. I've been saucing them with Liquid Wrench all week.  They actually  had good grip right away!  No break in needed!

I was also trying out the 2014 spec of the MurfDogg 17.5. It felt down on power at 1st so I geared up 2 teeth.  It was faster but faded toward the end of my practice run to the point where I couldn't make the triple!  The motor temp was only 150F but lost a lot of punch. Maybe I'll check the rotor diameter and try it again later. 

Time for racing!  Heads up qualifying was the program for tonight, meaning you needed to race your way in!  You needed to finish 1st or 2nd in your heat to transfer directly to the A.  If in round 2 the 1st or 2nd place cars were already in the main, the next 2 cars would transfer in. Thus, the top 8 in the A were made up of people that placed 1st or 2nd or placed behind someone who already transferred. I was able to win both my heats and transfer to the A. I would end up qualifying in 3rd. 

I had a good start moving up to 2nd within the 1st minute. But I shorted the last double before the straight and dropped to 4th. In the closing laps the 3rd place car tangled with traffic and I moved up to 3rd where I finished. 






No comments: