Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Top Gun Layout Club Racing, Saturday 12/14/19

I headed over to SDRC to club race on the Top Gun layout (since I don't attend bigger races anymore).  My expectations were low as the only triple I could make was a little one in the whoops section in the back left corner of the track.  The bigger one in front of the ramp to the drivers stand can only be made by Mod 4wd.

For Heat 1 I went with my practice tires (JC front and Pro-Line rear slicks) since I was able to get around the track ok.  Maybe with a little push?  So I sauced the front and rear tires the full width and called it good.  The track was freshly blown off and misted so I figured it would be fine since I was in the 1st heat of the round.  I finished in 3rd with a 15:05, fast lap of 18.996, and consistency of 94.63%.  The video shows that I made 7 mistakes which slowed me down and crashed 3 times.



For Heat 2 I stayed on the same tires.  But I think the track wasn't watered as much and dried off?  I went faster overall, but that was due to better consistency, since my fast lap slowed slightly.  The guys in front of me went a lot faster though, and a car behind me went a lap faster?!  I finished 4th time time with a 15:00, fast lap of 19.146, and higher consistency of 96.36%.  This time I made 7 mistakes again which slowed me down but at least I only crashed 2 twice?




I would end up qualifying 4th of 8 cars.  I decided to switch to my Dirt Webs/Ellipse tread tires for the main, as I think the track was drying out and becoming dusty, as the dust was not blow off between races.  I crash into the wall on the landing of the step down on the 2nd lap and lose touch with the top 3 cars.  For the rest of the race I fight off the car behind me, but I end up making 6 driving mistakes and crash a total of 6 times!  This prevents me from improving on my starting position and I finish in 4th with a 16:21, fast lap of 18.646, and consistency of 93.72%.  I guess the tread on my tires helped as my fast lap improved by half a second!



No comments: