Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Club Racing at SDRC! 22-X4 Getting Dialed In!

This was the 2nd club race for my new 4wd buggy, TLR 22-X4.  For this club race I centered the front hinge pins and maxed out the kick-up angle.  I then increased the front roll bar diameter from 1.0 mm to 1.2 mm.  I also tried out running JC Octagons on the front with Raw Speed Radar slicks on the back.

During practice I checked my motor temps as last time my motor kept going over 165F.  With an 81:21 gear in the car my motor temps were about 150F.  Much better!  Hopefully the temps stay between 150-160F during racing.

I also stripped my 2nd plastic kit servo horn 2 minutes into my 1st practice run landing a little bit sideways on the big triple.  Enough was enough!  I stripped the plastic servo horn in the Main at the last race, then again on my 1st practice run of the day.  I went in the shop and bought the optional TLR aluminum servo horn for the 22-X4.  The splines of this horn fit much better and clamp onto the the servo shaft.  I think the fit of the plastic horn isn't as tight as it should be, thus it strips rather easily.

On my last practice run my motor temp alarm went off again?  It alerts me if the motor temp goes over 165F.  I pulled the car off the track and the plastic Muchmore motor fan stopped working.  Time to replace it with my Yeah Racing aluminum fan!  Maybe this will keep the temps lower and I can gear back up?

To get the fan out, I need to remove the center diff.

Time for racing!
 

In Heat 1, I finished in 1st with a 15:04, fast lap of 19.643, average lap of  20.331, and consistency of  96.88%.  This layout is fun to drive with grip!  Big triple!  Double-triple!  Big step-up! :)


In Heat 2, I finished in 3rd with a 15:16, fast lap of 19.384, average lap of  21.119, and consistency of  92.37%.  Made too many mistakes that run trying to go a little faster.


I was able to score the TQ starting position with my run from the 1st heat.  But I blew out in the main after a crash on the big triple on the 2nd lap :(  I finished in 4th with a 14:04, fast lap of 19.389, average lap of  21.868, and consistency of  84.51%.  At least I had the fastest lap of the race?

No comments: