Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hot Rod Hobbies, Offroad Shootout, Day 3

No pics today, as I was busy turning laps!

Today was controlled practice, in 6 min sessions. I've got the layout figured out, and can turn consistent 21 sec laps, with a high 20, here and there. I still need to tighten up my line and decide if I should clear the big tripe leading up to the hill. I can do it, if I swing wide, but it's risky, since if you crash, it's hard for the marshal to reach that area. The other option is to take the turn before the triple tight, and go double-single, then shoot up the hill. Not sure which method is faster, but watching Brent Calvert in practice, he chose to clear the triple....

My motors are also still running hot, and I still feel like I need more gear, so I plan to put my motor heat sinks on and gear back up, as I need to pick up 0.5 seconds per lap (crosses fingers) I was running 69:35 in buggy and 72:31 in truck at the last JBRL race at the end of May, but the high that day was 86°F or so. Today the high in my pit reached 100°F!

I'm also trying to figure out my new SPX esc. At the JBRL race I was using mechanical timing on the motor and esc. Right now I'm running 0° timing on the motor, and letting the esc control the timing. I may return to using mechanical timing, as my truck just doesn't feel as fast as before, and experiment with the SPX during club racing.

Time to get some sleep, as I'll need to wake up at 4:30am, to make it to the track by 6am for the 1st day of qualifying!

2 comments: