Tuesday, November 17, 2009

1st Short Course Race *Updated w/YouTube Vids*

This past Sunday was the 1st time Short Course racing for me. My SC10 handled pretty well, and had more grip than I thought it would. In fact, it was pushing more than I liked, and wouldn't rotate either. The suspension also felt "bouncy", compared to my T4. Either the oil was too light or the springs too heavy. I was running 35wt oil and blue front and silver rear springs, which is one step heavier than what I run in my T4. It also might have been caused by the fact that I blew out a rear shock :( But, looking at the latest setup posted on RC10.com, the shocks are set up rather heavy, with 40wt oil and gold front springs and gray rear springs. I'll probably try those shock settings next Sunday.

I was also trying out my Bowtie and Caliber SC tires. Both had too much grip! The truck wouldn't rotate on the berms and I needed to slow down too much for the turns. To remedy this I moved my battery forward 1 spacer block (was running the battery all the way in the back next to the shock tower) and I didn't clean and sauce my tires for the main. I had been washing them and apply Sticky Kicks tire sauce, but I had too much rear traction, so I didn't clean my tires for the main. It also saved me some time, to rebuild my blown out rear shocks. (again!)

In round 1 I tried the Calibers. I pushed a bunch and couldn't rotate on the berms. Finished 2nd, but I wasn't happy with the run. The winner did 13 laps, to my 12:08. For the next round, I tried the Bowties. I was on a 13 lap run, until I got slowed by traffic and made a few bobbles. I ended up winning the race, but with a slow 12 lap run.

For the main, I moved my battery forward, and didn't clean my tires, since I needed to rebuild a rear shock. My lap times got more consistent, in the mid 24's to 25's, but I'm aiming for a 23-22 second lap time. I think the fastest I went with my T4 on this layout the last time I raced was a high 22 lap. I got a clean start from the 2nd position and followed the leader, but on the next lap, I caught a rut at the end of the straight and flipped :( The leader pulled away, but I didn't make any more mistakes and caught back up to him. With about a minute to go, I was right behind him, when I guess he broke, and I took over the lead. I cruised to the end, winning the main and taking home $5 in race bucks :)

I liked racing the Short Course class! Easy to see this huge blue body running around the track :) If I can get it to loosen up a bit, I think it would be dialed :) I'm also going to switch my motor to my LRP with a newer rotor, since I think my Orion's rotor is a bit tired. I also want to pick up a rotor checker, since I have a bunch of 17.5 motors now and need to rate them somehow. I would like to get replacement rotors, if I can find them.

Set Up Notes:
-more motor! use LRP
-try heavy shock settings
-change to 0° rear hubs
-change front camber link to 2-B, 0 washers
-move battery forward one more spacer
-try stock tires!? for less grip
-increase preload on servo saver spring

*UPDATE*
Oh ya! OCRC posts the mains to YouTube now! Here is my main, although the audio is messed up :( My truck is the blue one starting in the 2nd position.



And here is my Stock Truck race from 10/25/09. Didn't blog about it as I was building the SC10 at the time. I broke in round 1, got a clean, but slow run in round 2. It was my 1st race night on this layout, and I was still learning the fast lines. Add this to the fact that there were a bunch of fast guys racing that night, and I ended up qualifying in 6th, right in front of my brother, who was able to squeak into the A! He out qualified Casey B too, who won the B and bumped into the A. I got a killer start and chased down leader after crashing during the 1st 2 minutes. But, I crashed again on the last lap at the end of the straight :( But, I was able to hold on to 2nd :)

2 comments:

Kevin Deselms said...

I actually sometimes run different treads in front and back on my SC10, usually Goosebumps in the back and Bowties in front at Hot Rod's. Not sure what I'll end up doing at West Coast when I get back out there, that track's quite a different animal. My shocks are set up really similarly to how my T4 was.

ra99gt said...

Ya, I'm thinking of putting my T4 settings on the SC10, but I'm going to try the heavy shock settings 1st and see what happens.