Tuesday, March 3, 2020

2020 Supercross Series, Round 3, 2/29/20, SDRC

This would be the first round of the 2020 Supercross Series which I would be able to attend!  I missed the first 2 rounds due to a bum knee and with only 1 throw out race, there's no way I'll be able to finish in the top 3 of the series this year.  I can only hope to steal points from those who need them!

For practice I ran slicks right away and while I was able to get around the track, I couldn't drive at racing speed.  I guess with the change in ownership track maintenance before racing isn't what it used to be?  The track has a bunch of surface dust during practice, so I need to use tires with tread to make my practice runs meaningful.  I guess I'll be burning up more tires now.

In heat 1 I finished 2nd with a 15:10, fast lap of 19.354, average lap of 20.708, and consistency of 93.98%.  I crashed 3 times and made 3 mistakes.  I really need to stop going for fast lap times and concentrate on consistency!



In heat 2 I finished 2nd again, but was 1 lap slower finishing with a 14:07.  My fast lap was 19.529, average lap of 21.933, and consistency of 85.13%.  I 1 long crash and made 10 mistakes!  In that long crash I landed on the wrong side of the pipe and tried to hop back over, when I should have just gone around.  Also, I checked up because the marshal went into the lane instead of waiting for me to pass, which caused me to crash.  I need to practice doubling that 2nd triple just in case, or I'll just send it in and hope I miss the marshal?



I qualified 4th for the Main and finished in 5th with a 14:05.  My fast lap was 19.628, average lap of 21.642, and consistency of 87.66%.  I crashed 4 times with 1 long one due to a marshal not watching his section and I also made 5 mistakes!  There's no way I'll make the podium driving like this!


At least I got a prize from the raffle?  My buddy won this chassis protector, but it's for a TLR 4.0 buggy and he has an AE B6.1 car.  I have a 5.0 buggy, but the fit should be close enough, so he gave it to me :)


I've raced 6 times so far this year and only managed to win 1 race, which was a parking lot race, not off-road.  I need to get my consistency back up and maybe I'll have a chance to finish in the top 3 again!  After I place in the top 3 in 4wd I plan to switch to 2wd until I podium that class, then switch back to 2wd, and so forth.  This way I can race both of my favorite race cars :)

No comments: