Monday, August 10, 2020

Out Club Racing Again, SDRC Raceway, 8/8/20

For my 1st practice run I went with tires with treads (Dirtweb and Positron).  I think there was still dust on the racing line since I would get sideways mid-corner.  I also installed a new spur gear to see if my transmission noise would go away, but it didn't.  My fast lap for this practice run was 20.167. 



For practice run #2 I ran tires with a ghost tread (Transistor and Positrons).  I also tried using an aluminum pinion to get rid of the transmission noise.  The noise was still there and my fast lap was 19.839.  I guess I'll have to changes at least the idler gear in my transmission since I didn't get a new top shaft and don't want to rebuild my diff. 



I went with slicks for practice run #3 (Electrons and Positrons).  My car was still a little loose.  I attribute this to the lack of regular track maintenance.  My fast lap was stuck at 20.066.  



For my 4th and final practice run #4, I stayed on my slicks from P3.  There was no improvement in grip or fast lap, as I could only manage a 20.780.  



In Heat 1, I finished 2nd with a 14:01, fast lap of 20.355, average lap of  21.515, and consistency of 94.34%.  I made 3 driving mistakes and had 2 crashes.  My motor temps were about 150 F at 72/25.  For my tire setup I was saucing the tires, wiping off the excess, and putting on the tire warmers at 173 F for 10 minutes, then leaving the tire belts om until it was time for the race.  For this race I used my ghost Transistor and Positron treads.  



In Heat 2, I finished 2nd with a 15:12, fast lap of 19.430, average lap of 20.830, and consistency off 96.01%.  I made 2 driving mistakes and had 1 crash.  For this heat I went with my Electron and Positron slicks.  Grip was good on the racing line, but a little slippery off line.  



I qualified 6th for the A main and finished in 7th with a 13:09, after being as high as 3rd.  My fast lap was 20.119, average lap of 23.973, and consistency of  85.62%.  I made crashed so many times it wasn't worth it count them all.  



For the next race I plan to add -30% expo to the steering and change to a higher drive frequency.  Hopefully these changes make the car smoother to drive on slicks.

No comments: