Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Motor Head RC Raceway

This was my first visit to this track. I've known about it for awhile, since a few of the bigger races have been held there, but I've never had a reason to drive the 1hr and 10min to race there. Until recently that is!  Some friends from SDRC mentioned that they wanted to race there this past Sunday during Satuday night racing at SDRC, and I managed to invite myself along.  They didn't originally think I would go, since it's quite a drive for me, but I was game since I've heard the track is under new ownership and was supposed to have some good clay!  Plus, I've never raced there before and wanted to check it out in person.

The track building. I thnk it used to be an auto repair shop. 

The track is right next door to a Farmer Boys!  They even share the parking lot with the track. 

Our pit area. 

Track pano pic. It's a square track box.  Joey C of "The Dirt" designed and installed this layout. 

Left side. 

Center. 

Right side. 

Pit area next to the track. 

Display case outside the hobby shop. 

Hobby shop entrance. 

My friends milled B5m and 22 chassis on sale!

I signed up for stock buggy, per the advice of my friend who races stock buggy with me at SDRC.  I listened to him as this track was where he used to race regularly before starting to race at SDRC.  But I quickly realized that I was much faster than the rest of the field, since I was cruising and driving at about 70% and easily gapping everyone. I was also faster than the TQ of the expert stock buggy class!  Next time I'll be racing in expert. 

This was the only race result I was able to see as they were having trouble with the printer and were not able to print out any race results :(

Before the mains the track was soaked as the dirt was drying out and becoming dusty in only a a few races due to the low humidity and high temps. Unfortunately for me, I was in the 2nd heat and the track still had a few big puddles on it!  I almost didn't race and didn't even have my car on the track during warm ups!  But my friend egged me on to jump in the race, since grip was the best it had been all day!  I would just need to drive around the puddles. I threw my car on the track as the grid was set, taking no warm up laps. I got away clean, but stuffed the pipe after the tripple, needing a marshal.  No worries though, as I was so much faster that I got the lead back by the next lap. I made no other mistakes until with about a minute to go, I shorted the front double, trying to downside it perfect and make the hairpin right on the pipe. But I ended up on my lid needing a marshal instead :-/  I won easily and scored some cool stickers which look like number plates. Not sure what I'll do with them yet. 


I had a good time for my first visit to this track.  I was kinda sandbagging though, but I'll run expert during my next visit :)

1 comment:

ra99gt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.