Monday, November 25, 2019

Elite Rear Hubs Conversion

I picked up the VHA Rear Hub Conversion kit for my 22 5.0 buggy.  The new Variable Height Axle hubs from the Elite car allow you to change the height of the axle, so that you can keep the drive shaft level at ride height..  But the primary reason I changed to these hubs is that they use a large inner bearing which captures the CV pin!  Finally!  The last few races the set screw which holds the CV pin in the axle has been backing out on my older version of the rear axle, which is super annoying.


Parts laid out for the build.

I picked up the aluminum version of the VHA hubs also.  But I probably won't use them yet.  They weigh 12g.

Plastic version of the VHA hubs included in the conversion kit.  These weigh 9g.

One side ready to build.


New VHA hubs installed onto my 5.0 SR!

I tried out the hubs in practice using the kit setup.  I couldn't feel any difference in the handling since the track was dry and dusty with not much grip.  Thus, tires were much more important than suspension geometry.  I will have to wait until I race on a good track to see if there is any improvement.

No comments: