Monday, November 25, 2019

Race Day, Saturday 11/23/19

I decided to only race 13.5 4wd this time, as 2 classes with only 5-6 heats is too much work for me!  I was surprised when people whom I usually can out qualify, were now in front of me!  I've been able to turn really fast laps lately, but unfortunately at the cost of my consistency.  I need to drive without crashing, rather than going for fast lap every lap, which leads to a crash every once in a while.

In the first heat I ran my bald Dirtweb fronts and Positron rears, saucing the entire width of the front and rear tires.  Combined with my nerves, my initial steering felt too responsive, making it hard for me to drive.  I would crash 4 times during the race.  I finished 3rd with a 16:11, fast lap of 17.940, and consistency of 87.66%.

Heat 1 Video

For the second heat I used the same tires, but only sauced the inner half of the front tires.  This seemed to tone down the initial steering, making the car more comfortable to drive.  Unfortunately, I drove too aggressive, crashing a total of 6 times this race.  My race time was faster though, as I turned a 16:06, with a fast lap of 17.472 and consistency of 90.16%.

Heat 2 Video

There would be a total of 11 cars in the Main and I would start 7th.  I ended up crashing a bunch in the opening laps, which negated the advantage I gained passing multiple cars when they crashed earlier.  I also noticed that I crashed numerous time at the step up table top leading back to the straight.  Since I crash here the most, I really need to roll this section the first few laps while all the cars are close together, to avoid losing a lot of positions, if I end up crashing here.  I battle for 5th with Levi (dark blue) and Brian (light blue) for most of the race.  Levi would end up finishing 5th, and I pass Brian right before the end of the race for 6th.  I finish the main with a 16:25, fast lap of 17.964, and consistency of 89.3%.

Main Event Video

With only 2 races left on this layout, I plan to drive a little less punched and roll that step up the first few laps!  The Top Gun layout is going in after Thanksgiving weekend and it better have a triple again!

No comments: