Monday, November 18, 2019

Racing two classes with only 5 heats?!

I would try racing both 17.5 Expert Buggy and 13.5 4wd Buggy.  Normally I don't race 2 classes during regular club racing, as usually there aren't that many heats, and I end up being really busy the entire time, instead of relaxing between races.

I also tried out recording my races with my Session 5 GoPro mounted to a cap with a mount built in!  This way I can wear the camera on my head without using the goofy looking head strap.

For my 1st 2wd qualifier I used my Proline slicks.  These tire were super fast last weekend, but loose this time around.  Probably due to the lack of track prep or possibly the weather?  I didn't have a very good run with a fast lap of 19.2 and consistency of 86.0%, finishing 6th of 7.



For the 2nd heat I switched over to my Proline Transistors/Positrons combo, but the rear tread height was still too low I suppose, as I still didn't have the rear grip I wanted.  Or I was over-driving the car and not being smooth?  I got the advantage of starting on the pole as we were doing heads up starts for qualifying today, instead of the normal IFMAR style starts.  I held the lead for a little while until I shorted the double in front of the drivers stand and went to the back.  More mistakes kept me in the back.  I had slightly better run with a fast lap of 19.0 and consistency of 90.5%, finishing 5th of 7.



For the main I changed rear tires again to another set of Positrons with a little more tread.  This race was 7 minutes long.  I crash a bunch during the opening laps and rocket to last place.  This time I had a fast lap of 19.3 with a consistency of 82.9% (worst of the day), finished 6th of 6.



In the 1st heat of 4wd I would start 2nd, but crash on the 1st jump and end up last.  Luckily there was only 1 car faster then me, so I quickly moved back up to 2nd.  I was having a lot of fun racing my EB410!  I forgot how aggressive this car can be driven!  I was trying to catch the leader until one of the rear lower titanium shock bolts broke landing the triple.  This is the 2nd titanium shock bolt I've broken!  I'm going to change the rears to steel studs.  For the 5 laps I was racing my fastest lap was 18.0 with a consistency of 94.7%.



I wouldn't start the 2nd qualifier, as I wasn't able to get my car fixed in time.  Instead of changing the rear arm with the broken bolt in it, I moved the shock to the outer hole on the arm and moved the tower mount out 1 position.  Hopefully this is close enough to the original mounting position that the handling isn't too far off for the main.

I would start last in the Main, as I only had 1 qualifier result with 5 laps.  I would crash near the end of the opening lap, then get all my lost positions back by lap 3.  By this time the leader had checked out and I just drove as fast as possible trying to get a 17 second fast lap.  I would end up with a 18.0 fast lap again with a consistency of 89.2%.



Before the next race I need to do some work on my cars.  The 2wd needs a diff rebuild and I need to install the new VHA rear hub conversion I bought.  I also need to service the drive-train in my 4wd as it was making all sorts of squeaky noises. LOL!  I also need to swap out my motor temperature sensor in the 4wd, as I think the one currently in there is broken?  Every time it turns on it reads 55°F, when it should be reading the ambient temperature :(.

No comments: