Tuesday, November 26, 2019

EB410 Motor Service


During racing last Saturday my 4wd buggy was making a horrible sound on power.  Like one of the diff was letting go.  But when I inspected it, the diffs seemed fine.  Then while inspecting the rest of the car I saw that the motor can was not parallel to the chassis.  At first I thought the chassis was bent?  But then I noticed that all the screws which hold the motor together had backed out completely!  Luckily I caught it in time to get the motor back together before Heat 1 :)

Back at home I decided to take the motor out of car and clean it, then apply thread locker to all the can screws, so hopefully they won't back out again.  This motor has been in the car since I built it last year!  One of the bearings seemed a little gritty, so I will probably have to replace that the next time I take the motor apart.

Motor disassembled for cleaning

While the motor was out I needed to remove and replace the temperature sensor.  The one mounted in my car was reading 20°F under the actual temperature.  It may have been damaged the last time I raced the car in the spring, as the side of the car took a hit hard enough to the side to destroy the motor fan?

Faulty temperature sensor

I took the working sensor out of my B5m buggy (which I don't really race anymore since I switched to my TLR 22 5.0 SR), but the clear shrink wrap was torn and I had to remove it.

Naked working temperature sensor

A quick search on Amazon yielded a 625 piece clear shrink wrap kit for $8.50.  I only needed 1 piece though (oh well).  At least the kit was 54% off?

Amazon clear heat shrink kit and freshly covered sensor

Replacement sensor installed back in my EB410

Clean motor and replacement sensor installed back in the car

No comments: