Saturday, November 22, 2008

4PK shakedown

I headed out to OCRC to shakedown my new 4PK radio and learn how to take the new triple where the huge double was last week. I would also only use my lipos during practice because I wanted the punch to feel the same as when I would be racing.

It took me 2 runs to get used to the feel of the 4PK. It's easier to hold than my M8 since its lighter, and the trigger/wheel feel about the same. The timer worked great, except for the fact that I kept running after time was up. I just had to get one more clean lap! LOL! The only problem I had was with my finger slipping off the trigger when I applied the brakes. This was especially un-nerving when it happened during braking at the end of the straight with a wall in front of me! I fixed the problem by putting a short piece of fuel tubing over the brake side of the trigger. This kept the tip of my finger from slipping off when I hit the brakes :) It also worked great! No glitching or shutdowns :) It was invisible to my driving, as it should be :)

I also ran my lipos for all my practice runs, instead of using my NiMh batteries. The NiMH just don't have the punch I need to clear the step-up table top and triple. I was also able take three 5-7 minute practice runs on one charge! And the 3rd run on the pack still had the same punch as the 1st run :) I only recharged my Reedy 5000 mah pack, as I need it ready to run for practice tomorrow. I put back in about 3200 mah, so I can safely run four 5-7 minute runs on this pack and still stay above the 80% capacity use rule. I use this rule with my helicopter lipo batteries. To keep them healthy and keep from over discharging them, only use 80% of the pack's rated capacity. So for a 5000 mah pack, you shouldn't be putting back in more than 4000 mah. Of course, if you change motors or gearing this will change how much capacity you use up in a 5-7 minute run.

Since I raced on this layout last weekend, I was already familiar with it, but a new jump was put in, the triple on the left side of the track. This jump changed my line through this area. I would need to go over the double before the triple wider and slower, so that I can take the turn prior to the triple wider, thus giving me the run I need to clear the triple. If I take this turn a little tighter, it becomes hit/miss on clearing the triple. It does make the layout more challenging though. There was also more traction this time around. I guess the rubber is getting laid down now :)

I was also trying out some different roll centers on the front end of my truck. I moved the mounting positions of the camber links to the outside hole on the shock tower and outside hole on the hub carrier. I also switched over to 30° caster blocks and moved the rear hub carrier forward to increase rear traction. With all these changes, the truck felt slightly more stable, and hopefully my lap times will decrease a bit :)

Anyhoo, time to get some sleep for racing tomorrow! It'll be my final practice race before the Platinum Battle!

No comments: