Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rebuild time!

I wanted to look over my T4 and B44 for any items that needed attention to get them ready for testing and racing over the next 2 weekends and ultimately for the Platinum Battle race. The T4 was in fairly good shape, but the rear shocks were leaking and needed a rebuild. So, I would rebuild those and install my LRP 13.5 for Super Stock racing on Sunday. I had originally planned to switch my front shock oil over to 35wt, but when looking at Mayfield and Cavalieri's setup sheets on RC10.com, the bottom of the shock is mounted on the inside hole on the arm, changing the leverage on the shock, which is probably why they use 35wt oil. Also, they are using the #3 piston with a smaller hole than the #2, that I have currently installed. Using the inside hole on the arm also requires using more travel limiters on the shock shaft, to keep the droop the same, meaning I'd have to take the shock apart to try this setup, when I originally just wanted to change the oil over to 35wt. I think I'll leave the front shock setup alone for now and try this setting when I need to take the shock apart for a rebuild. My truck has been working well anyway with my current setting :)

I hate rebuilding shocks :( Bleeding them sucks! Sometimes I get it right on the 1st try and other times it seems impossible to get right :( I had both happen to me rebuilding the T4's rear shocks. One I was able to bleed right on the 1st try, while the other took forever! It kept having too much oil or air! I just couldn't hit the sweet spot. Then I stripped the molded shock cap :( I finally got it right after what seemed like a million attempts and buttoned the truck back up.

My B44 looks good! Nothing leaking and the diffs feel alright. I'll probably just clean it up and make sure everything is tight and gear it up a tooth, since the motor temps are still on the low side.

I can't wait to head out to OCRC on Saturday and try the new layout. From watching the racing on Live RC last night, it looks like a fast time will be in the 15-16 lap window, with fast lap times in the low 20's to high 19's. I wonder what times I will run and who will be the 1st to turn a 16 lap run and sub 20 second lap?

1 comment:

Kevin Deselms said...

The new layout is sweet, definitely fast and makes you pay for your mistakes, bigtime. I had some serious problems with traction, but I think that was a combination of things not limited to the fried foams in my holeshots (which worked better than the Double-Dees, anyway). I'm going back to the J82 anyway, so it's time to re-setup the car :)