Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Race #1- OCRC Raceway

I wanted to post some updates from the track, live, as I completed each race, but with working on 3 cars, there wasn't very much down time. Maybe next time :)

Tonight was Race #1 of the Holiday racing season :) It was also the maiden race for my new B4. I would be racing it in Super Stock Buggy and running my B44 in Super Stock 4wd. My brother would be running my T4 in Amateur Stock Truck. My brother and I got video of all our races, so this post incudes almost an hour of video!

Super Stock Buggy
My B4 was not hooked up at all :( The setup I put on it was way off. It was difficult to keep pointed in the right direction. For my 1st practice run I tried a pair of worn Holeshots. The rear end slid around so much that I pulled it off after only a few laps. Next, I tried my Double Dees. These were much better, but I still had to be careful. I decided to switch to my Square Fuzzies for round 1, as well as loosen my slipper a 1/4 turn, put silver springs on the front shocks, and loosened up my diff a little bit. I would also just apply traction compound to the rear tires only.

The Squares felt ok, but I still couldn't get on the gas too hard in round 1. The car was also pushing too much in the sweepers, and didn't carve through the turns how I liked. I had a decent start and was in 3rd place, but got hit from the back in the whoops and got stuck on a pipe. I ended up in last by the time I got marshaled :( I hung on and finished in 5th with a 14:00. At least I didn't finish last! Check out the race below.



I made no changes to the car for round 2. Just wiped down the front tires with a wet rag and washed and sauced my rears. My lap times were still around 21 seconds. Not too impressive :( I was still unhappy with the handling, but I crashed less this round, and went a little faster, finishing 4th with a 15:20.



I would have to switch tires for the main, as my Square Fuzzies had developed several bald spots during the last race! I'd go back to my Holeshots, crossing my fingers that they'd get me through the main. I had qualified 6th out of 9 cars. I was able to avoid an accident on the start and went over the step-up table-top in 3rd! But I landed short and wrecked. After I got going again I was in last place. I struggled with the car being so loose the entire race. I even spun out a few times at the end of the straight under braking! Thankfully, nobody hit me! I finished where I started, in 6th, with a 14:03.



I need to make a bunch of changes to the car! Let's see.... Remove all the travel limiters from the front shocks, change the oil to 30wt, pistons to #2's, and install longer silver springs. Install the 25° caster blocks. Change the rear oil to 25wt with #1 pistons. I also need to enable anti-lock brakes in my 4pk.

Super Stock 4wd
I only took 1 practice run with my B44, as it felt pretty good with the Inside Job tires I was running. I needed to sort out my B4 anyway and help my brother with running my truck.

In round 1, I got a horrible start and was running in 4th place. I then started reeling in Joel Navarro from RC Car Action (the orange car). We had a good battle going, but he was a little squirrelly, making it hard to make a pass. He finally wrecked and I was able to go by :) I think something happened to the leader that same lap, and I found myself in second place! Adam was in the lead now, but he was long gone, so I kept out of trouble and finished a lap down with a 15:00.



In round 2, I had a decent start and came across the line in 3rd. Woohoo! But then, Adam takes me out in the whoops section, sending me over the pipe and I get stuck :( dropping down to 4th. The leaders wreck on the next lap and I catch back up, but Adam hits me again after the step-up table-top! I held onto 3rd and wasn't too far behind the leaders, but wasn't able to make a pass. I finished with a 16:18. After the race, Adam apologizes to me for hitting me during the race. I told him not to worry about it, but to just clean up his driving.



I needed to change tires for the main, as my rear Inside Jobs had started to go bald. I went to my Double Dees and again only sauced the rears. These tires were hooked up! I was almost a second a lap faster on these tires compared to the Inside Jobs :) and turned some laps in the low 18's. I kept my nose clean for the 1st lap and found myself in 2nd place right behind the leader, Adam. We would have an epic battle for the lead the entire race, swapping the lead several times. He made a clean pass on me going through the whoops and then later over the triple, but I took the lead back when he made mistakes. We raced to the line, but I made it over for my 17th lap and Adam got caught, so I took it easy on my victory lap! Too easy in fact as, I slowed too much for some cars in front of me, and couldn't make the gap from the step-up to the table-top and ended up on my lid. It took forever for a marshal to turn over my car, but it didn't matter, as there was no way to lose the lead now! :) I had won the race! Check out this great race between Adam and myself below.



Oh ya, my brother did pretty well for his 1st race back since we were kids. He went a lap faster every round and qualified in 5th for the Amateur Stock Truck Main. He finished the main in 3rd place! Congrats Ran! Check out the video's I took of his races below.

Round 1



Round 2



Main Event


Next up will be the Winter Series race at Delta RC in Antioch, CA. I will be running Mod 4wd and maybe SS Buggy. Maybe this time I'll have live updates from the track! Stay tuned!

No comments: