Monday, January 5, 2009

Holiday Race #2- Delta RC Antioch, CA *UPDATED 1/5/09*

*UPDATED 1/5/09*
I really enjoyed racing at Delta RC. The track was huge! And it was a unique experience racing in a former goat show arena :) The layout was very challenging and the all the jumps required good timing to land correctly. The most difficult section was the rhythm section consisting of 3 sets of double jumps. The 1st set if doubles was easy to clear, the 2nd was set was difficult, and the 3rd was almost impossible. If you got the timing wrong on the 1st set, there was no way to clear the other 2. We ran 8 minute triple A mains too! Which was kinda funny, since we only ran 2 rounds of qualifying. I would racing more mains than qualifying races :) However, there were 2 things I didn't like. The lighting inside the arena wasn't very good, making it somewhat dark. Then the bright light outside the arena made it difficult to see when driving on the outer edges of the track. The track would benefit from something to cut down on the light from the outside or brighter lighting inside the arena. The other thing I didn't like was the short driver's stand. This and the layout caused a few blind spots on the track, where you'd lose sight of your car completely. That really makes it hard to drive!

Super Stock Buggy
I qualified 4th for the main out of 9 cars. The mains were uneventful really. All I needed to do was not crash and I'd finish in the top 3. A wreck will cost you a lot of time as there were not many marshals and it took forever for one to get you going again. I did go through periods of crash after crash and dropped down the order, but I was able to calm down and work my way back to the front. I finished 2nd in A1 with a 14:10, 3rd in A2 with a 14:24, and 4th in A3 with a 14:14. I ended up finishing 3rd overall. Check out the triple A mains below :)

A1 Main


A2 Main


A3 Main


Mod 4wd
I did better in 4wd than buggy (like always) and qualified 2nd out of 7 cars. It was also more of the same. Just keep my nose clean and I'd be in the front :), but I also had periods of a few crashes in a row. I did lead the race on several occasions, but a wreck would cause me to give up the lead and I was never able to win a race :( I finished 3rd in A1 with a 15:03, 3rd in A2 with a 15:12, and 2nd in A3 15:06. I finished 3rd overall. Check out my 4wd mains below.

A1 Main


A2 Main


A3 Main



*LIVE FROM THE TRACK* (Newest news at the top)
My mains are back-to-back-to-back! As we're running triple A-mains! I guess this will be my last post live from the track, since I will be busy racing. ~1pm 12.27.08

Finished 2nd with a 10:10 in round 1 then 2nd again with a 10:25 in round 2 in Mod 4wd. Starting to get the hang of the track now. Also finished 3rd in SS Buggy with a 9:16 in round 2. Track is nice and dry too. We're taking a break for lunch before the triple A-mains! I hope my batteries last as I plan to run only 1 pack for all the runs. ~12om 12.27.08

Just finished my run in SS Buggy. It's hard to see on the backside of the track as it's so dark, compared to the bright light, right outside the arena. Also having trouble with the rhythm jump section. Finished 4th with a 9:27. ~11am 12.27.08

Took some pics of my pit and the pit area. Looks like we'll be racing after all! I signed up for SS Stock Buggy and Mod 4wd. I wonder how I"ll do as I only took 1 practice run with each car and the track was really wet. ~9am 12.27.08




Took a few pics of the track. It's really wet and muddy right now, so nobody wants to run. There aren't very many people here so far and racing is supposed to start in an hour. ~8am 12.27.08




On the way to the track at 7am. It's really cold! 12.27.08

No comments: