Monday, January 26, 2009

Back in the comfort zone

I decided to run Stock Truck and Mod 4wd this weekend, as my B4 hasn't been working well in Super Stock Buggy, and I'm in the process of changing the setup over to the new LiPo setup with no added weight that I posted about earlier.

Stock Truck
While getting my T4 ready to race Saturday night, I decided to make a change to the rear roll center to get it to rotate faster for all the hairpins of the current layout at OCRC. I moved the hub carrier ball end to the B hole from the C hole. This shortens the camber link, freeing up the rear end. When I took my practice run Sunday though, it was a little too "free". It was controllable, but too edgy. I'm sure my worn Holeshots didn't help either! Instead of going to newer tires, I switched to black springs, as I was going to try these anyway, on my T4 LiPo setup I plan to work on. I didn't get a chance to try the new springs out though, as the track was closed for maintenance. I guess I'll see how it works in round 1.

In round 1, I was running in 3rd place right behind 2nd place for most of the race. I guess I was following 2nd a bit too close, as I bumped him a few times. But, each time I let him take his position back. I wasn't able to stay close though, as I made a few mistakes myself, and ended up finishing 3rd with an 11:08, 7 seconds behind 2nd. I also went 5 seconds faster with my 17.5 powered T4 than my 13.5 powered B4! I guess my B4 setup really sucks!

In round 2, I lead the entire race! The 2nd place truck was right behind me the entire time too! I was able to take the lead over the triple jump, as the lead truck took it as a double-single, while I tripled it, thus I passed him while landing the triple, as he was in the air coming off the downside jump. But, that landing moved my motor slightly, and my T4 was making a loud noise as I lapped the track now. Oddly enough, the motor didn't move enough to kill my punch for the jumps or my top end on the straight, as I was still able to keep 2nd place behind me. It sounded horrible though! The only mistake I made was on the last lap, taking the turn onto the straight too tight and going over the wood roller so far to the inside that my truck fell off the top! I got stuck on the wrong side of the pipe, giving the lead up :( I still managed to finish 2nd with a 12:29! At least I went 12 laps :)

I qualified 2nd for the main, and I would stay in 2nd place for most of the race. Although I did cross the line in 1st place for 1 lap, by clearing the triple! I landed to the outside though, and the lead truck remained in 1st place. I made a small bobble, allowing the lead truck to pull away, and the 3rd place truck to catch me. The 3rd place truck was able to pass me when in the hairpin before the triple he bumped me. I got sideways and ended up stuck on a pipe :( Thanks :( I wasn't able to make the pass back into 2nd place and finished 3rd with a 12:26, 3 seconds behind 2nd.

Mod 4wd
Tonight was not my night :( My B44 was not working very well. During practice my Holeshots had no rear grip at all, so I changed over to my Double Dee's. While better, the rear traction was still not enough, so I changed over to black rear springs. The track was then closed, so I would have to test the new rear springs in round 1. I didn't get the chance though, as I broke a front shock shaft when I rear-ended another car during the warm up laps. Opps! Oh well.

I had better luck in round 2 however! I ran in 3rd the entire race finishing with a 12:05, 4 seconds behind 2nd place. The rear end also felt more locked in than during practice. I guess the black rear springs helped out after all :)

My run in round 2 seated me in the 3rd starting position for the main. We had a clean start and I held my 3rd place position. However, the leaders pulled away from me a bit, so I just tried to get into a nice rhythm and try and catch back up. About halfway through the race though, I had a bad tumble over the step-up and popped a drive shaft from the diff, losing all my punch for the jumps :( So I pulled my car off the track. Oh well. Next time!

I plan to freshen up both my T4 and B44 and change the setups some to work better with the weight of my LiPo batteries. Rebuild the shocks and diffs on both and check them over for "looseness" in the suspension. I'm sure that my B44 will require more work though, as I've been racing it with barely any maintenance since I built it back in September!

No comments: