Saturday, February 7, 2015

Heads up qualifying!

Stock Buggy, Friday 2/6/15, @SDRC

Tonight SDRC was trying a heads up racing program.  The 1st and 2nd place cars "transfer" directly to the A main and cannot be bumped out. These cars positions are set by their fastest heat time from round 1 or 2 of qualifying.  All other positions are set by fastest time. 


In round 1 I drew a good number and would be starting 2nd!  But I ended up finished 3rd :(. Thus I could potentially qualify no higher than 8th, unless I could place in the top 2 in round 2. 


For round 2 I would start 3rd on the grid. I had an awesome run and won round 2!  Now I would qualify no lower than 4th!  I had the fastest run however and took the TQ!  I was TQ 2 weeks in a row!  Sweet!


In the main I started on the pole which was actually not the ideal spot to start from. I would have rather started from the 2nd spot. I got a slow start and got bumped and crashed in the valley up to the step up!  By the time I got going I was in last place!  I drove my ass off and came though the field like a freight train!  It took me a few laps to catch up to field, but once I did I was passing a few cars every lap!  Most of them I passed by hugging the pipe super tight to the 1st double while other cars had to go wide to be able to clear the jump.  I was able to clear or while right to the pipe :)

In the closing minute I caught up to the 2nd and 3rd place cars who tangled over the triple. I saw the wreck and drove by while try were both upside down :). I would finish in 2nd!

The heads up qualifying was a nice change of pace and was a lot of fun!  I think it will work as long as your start position I round 2 is based on how you finished in round 1. With that at least you have a chance to start up front if you are dealt a 5 or 6. With the old system of just reversing the grid for round 2 you were screwed if you had those numbers for the night. 


No comments: