Monday, September 8, 2008

My B44 build continues

Friday night some parts that I had been waiting for arrived! My new servo, speed controller, and transmission shims, along with some other odds and ends I needed.

I used the shims to take all the side-to-side play out of the diffs in the front and rear gear cases. This would hopefully prevent the gears from stripping. I installed the gearboxes on the chassis and checked how "free" they spun. They were a bit tight, so I decided to break-in the gears. I installed a stock motor and ran it at 3 volts for about 3 hrs, taking a break every 30 min. When I checked the "spin" again, it was much better but still a bit "notchy". So I hooked the motor back up and ran it at 5 volts for another hour or so, in 10 min intervals. The gears didn't feel as "notchy" anymore, but they were still not free spinning. That will come as I run the car. Or maybe I'll take out a shim or 2. We'll see.

There wasn't much left I could do with the chassis, so I mounted up my tires with Proline 2 stage foam and called it a day. I still needed to get ready to race Stock Truck at OCRC Sunday!

No comments: