Sunday, September 14, 2008

A nice night for some racing

Since the weather for Saturday was supposed to be alot cooler in Santa Clarita than the last 2 weekends, I decided to race at HRH under the lights :) I got there about 2 hours before start time and set up my pit in the shade of the far corner of the pits. The track was really dry and dusty, so I decided to practice after the track would be watered. I didn't need to learn the layout, since it was still the same as the last time I was here. I would be playing around with the gearing in the truck tonight, aiming for a temp of 170°F at the end of a 10 min run. I put my IFMAR pins on the rear of the truck and headed out for my practice run. I started my countdown timer and turning some laps. Wow! I had no punch at all :( I guess my practice pack is really flat. I was having a tough time clearing any of the big jumps. When my timer went off, I pulled in and took the temp of my motor. 172°F. I'll start off with a 78/28 for round 1.

As I walked up to the track, I noticed the paint job of a fellow rc blogger and racer, Kevin of Kevin's RC Racing Blog (http://kdoffroad.blogspot.com/). I've been reading Kevin's RC blog for a few weeks now, and it was cool to meet the person behind the blog :) The track would be bone dry for round 1, better suited to Holeshots rather then the IFMAR pins on my truck, but I was saving my Holeshots for racing at OCRC, so I toughed it out on the IFMAR's. I started the heat 7th of 7 trucks. I took an easy on the start, driving around an accident in the 1st turn, and managed to make it up to mid-pack, I think. The rest of the heat was a joke. I was either ending up on my lid, or getting punted off the track. In the hairpin leading up to the big triple, I was on the outside of another truck, and he pushed me completely off the track, and I got stuck on a pipe! I guess I'll need to give the other trucks in this heat way more room. I still managed to finish 3rd with a 11:04.

For round 2, the track was damp, like I'm accustomed to at HRH. I would be starting in 1st for this heat, so I would try to run away from the field, to avoid getting tangled up. It worked and I got a nice clean start and pulled away from everyone else. I made a bunch of bobbles during the next lap, allowing Brent to catch me by the end of the 2nd lap. I headed down the hill, and went too wide over the roller at the bottom. Brent went to the inside and took the lead! Nuts! He checked out after that, and I didn't make any major mistakes, and stayed away from the other drivers. I finished the heat in 2nd with a 12:09.

The sun had fully set by now, and it was nice and cool out. Time for the mains under the lights :) I decided to gear up a tooth for the main, since my motor temps were hovering around 135°F after 5 min. The main would be 7 min long though, and I wondered if I would be geared too high, overheating my motor. I qualified 2nd for the main behind Brent. We took off at the tone and I made it clean through the 1st few turns. However, I got a bit tangled up and lost sight of my truck for a second in the short chute between the table top and triple. I lucked out though and got away 1st, and still in 2nd place. The rest of the main was uneventful. Brent pulled away from me, and I pulled away from 3rd place, eventually lapping him. I finished 2nd with a 17:19, a lap behind Brent :( I temped my motor at the end of the main, 150°F. Cool! Maybe I'll try this gearing at OCRC.

I better get going! I'm heading down OCRC for another night of racing! See ya at the track!

1 comment:

Kevin Deselms said...

Great meeting you at the races! I'm hoping to head out to OCRC in a few weeks (maybe some of the other Hot Rod locals with me) and if you don't think they consider you fast, it's fair to say we can all expect to get rocked! I'm looking forward to trying out a new track and seeing this facility that everyone's talking about, though.