Friday, May 29, 2015

T5m Diet!

So. I weighed the truck when it was race ready and it came in at heavy 1905g!  A hefty 204g over the minimum weight of 1701g. I didn't care much for mod, but since I switched to 13.5 motor for the upcoming summer series at SDRC, I decided to put this pig on a diet!  

With the recommended gearing in the manual, the motor was running hot and hit the max temp I have programmed in my telemetry (180F) several times during practice runs, at about the 10 minute mark. Which is ok, but I'd rather not have it get that high during a practice run. During racing the motor normally reaches about 160F, which is fine.  But with summer coming I'd rather have it be lower, thus I want to lighten the truck. 

First up were aluminum locknuts for the shock mounts and aluminum wheel nuts, as I have extras of these for my buggy. 

Next were shorter ball cups and titanium turnbuckles. I originally used T4 titanium turnbuckles as I had an extra set and the T5m version was on backorder. The T4 ones are about 4mm longer than the T5m ones. 

Next were titanium ball studs and aluminum M3 locknuts.

Then came the titanium screws. I replaced everything that was easy to access on the top of the chassis for now, and will change over the rest when I install my milled chassis and puck system.

The last titanium parts to install will be some front axles, as these are still on backorder. 

I'll get a new weight after I install my lighter servo. The one I have in the truck now is overkill, but bad ass!  Core less motor, titanium gears, aluminum case, 306 oz-in @ 0.06 seconds!  My lighter servo has a brushless motor, metal gears, plastic case, 192 oz-in @ 0.07 seconds, and is 15g lighter:)

Update 6/3/15
The truck was at 1886g race ready for last weekend. This was with some of the titanium screws, titanium ball studs, shorter titanium turnbuckles, various aluminum nuts, lighter servo, but no pucks or milled chassis. 

Stock chassis 142g

V3 milled chassis, shallower pockets, more milling in the center, less under the motor, 110g, 32g lighter than stock :)

Update 6/4/15
New race weight with my milled chassis. Still 144g over minimum weight :(

No comments: